Monday, September 21, 2015

the shack

I'm not exactly sure where to start.

I talked with my uncle earlier this year, and while in the midst of my grief, he recommended that I read The Shack.

For those of you who don't remember, The Shack is a book that was super popular about 6-7 years ago.  It's about a father who's daughter is kidnapped and murdered (that's not a spoiler because you learn that within the first few chapters), and then the rest of the book is about his journey through grief - or his "great sadness" - with God. 

After my uncle recommended the book, I ordered it that night but I never really got around to reading it.  I was having such a hard time dealing with my own junk, I didn't really want to sit around reading about someone else's junk (even if it is fiction). 

So, I avoided reading it.

I saw my uncle at our family reunion in June this summer, and again, he recommended that I read The Shack.

After that trip, I ended up having lunch with a dear friend who has also (unfortunately) gone through the lost of a child, and at the lunch, she recommended that I read none other than The Shack.

I took this as a sign.  So, I started reading it.  To be honest, I actually listened to the audio version to get as much out of the book as possible.  I am a fast reader, which means I'm a skimmer, and I really wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The book was tough to read because it felt so applicable.  The conversations that Mack was having with God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit were words that have been on the tip of my tongue for the past year and a half.

Let me stop a second.  I fully admit that The Shack is NOT scripture.  I know this.  But I also believe that God can use ANYTHING to meet us where we are at in our lives to speak to us.  Just as a song on the radio can speak to us, I whole-heartedly believe that God used this book to speak to me and help heal my broken and aching heart. 

To be completely honest, for parts of my quiet time over the past few months, I have been listening to The Shack. Again, the book is not scripture, but the book brought healing and comfort.

The conversations of doubt, anger, frustration, pain, sadness, and joy that Mack was having were powerful.  I felt (and feel) exactly like Mack.  And I'm so thankful that our God is so patient with us as we try to understand more of who He is. 

The book helped me see God as the loving God that He is. He loves us so much. Amidst my anger and questions, His love is never changing. 

I'm still processing the many layers I uncovered in this book, so I'm pretty sure this is one of many blogs about my journey reading through The Shack. 

It was such a great book to meet me where I was (and am) at.  I'll dive into it deeper next time.

Until then.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading that book after some of my own losses and I agree with you whole heartedly. Such a different eye opening way to meet God. I truly feel God meets us in our brokenness and heals us. Without going into detail, I have really learned in the last few months that God really KNOWS what He is doing. That when we are at our worst, what we think is our lowest point, He is still working it out for us. That in the darkness, God will form light.

    ReplyDelete